*This delicious recipe post contains affiliate links*
By popular demand, here is my delectable recipe for mini mac n’ cheese pies– bite sized goodness, perfect for BBQs and easily adaptable so you can add whatever vegetables you prefer.
This was such a big hit when I took it to my friend’s barbecue recently, so be warned, if you make it, your loved ones won’t stop asking for it!
This is my basic recipe and some of my fav vegetables for substituting are leeks, broccoli, kale and mushrooms. I should say, the day I made this I wasn’t sure I was going to the BBQ. My mood was so low but just the process of cooking mindfully, creating such a gorgeous tasting thing and getting to the BBQ and meeting all these wonderful people who shared their appreciation for my cooking really lifted my mood.
FYI: You will need a cup cake baking tray and cup cake liners (I have silicone ones which you can get from Amazon). The rich taste is helped by the evaporated milk but if you want to substitute that, a good non diary option would be cashew milk.
Do let me know if you try it – send me your photos and let me know how it turns out.
Gentle hugs 🙂 x
- 300 grams Conchiglie Pasta Shells £ 0.56 for 500g pk (Tesco)
- 1 tin Evaporated milk £ 0.65 (Tesco) (Best non dairy substitute for this would be cashew milk)
- 1 large Onion Half grated and set aside, the other half chopped
- 2 medium sized Tomatoes Chopped in medium sized pieces (£.0.56 for 6 pk size Tesco)
- 250 grams Cheddar cheese (grated) £3.00 (Tesco) Pilgrims Choice Lighter Mature Cheddar Cheese 350 G
- olive oil For sauteing
- 2 Free range eggs Cracked into a bowl & mixed with a drop of lemon (£0.89 Tesco)
- Parsley Dried or fresh
- 1 tbsp Home made hot sauce To taste
- Salt To taste
- 1. Bring 300 grams pasta to boil as per packet instruction. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in pan. Toss in chopped tomatoes and chopped onions and cover for 2 minutes until flavours come out and slightly brown. (if substituting vegetables this is where you would add them instead of the tomatoes).
- Turn on oven in the meantime, to 180 degrees.
- Toss in pasta and mix thoroughly. Add eggs and once cooked through, add grated cheese, grated onion, salt, pepper sauce, parsley and half can evaporated milk or enough so that the mixture isn't dry. Switch off once all ingredients are properly mixed.
- Fit the cup cake baking tray with silicon cases and spoon enough of the pasta mixture into each casing. Put in the oven and bake for at least 15 minutes or until slightly brown on top.