By popular demand, here are instructions for making this delicious vegetarian dish of cheesy baked eggs, with grilled squash, spinach and a host of vegetables and spices that will leave you drooling for more!You can also have it as a snack, lunch and breakfast babe! This dish is so diverse and as with most of my dishes, you can swap the veges for any others in season or whatever you prefer. Click To Tweet
You might already know that I don’t typically follow recipes – I tend to cook freestyle so I will try my best as always to guestimate the quantities of each ingredients I used.
This is a great, warming and comforting dish for these chilly evenings, as the days turn darker and we try to salvage what’s left of the challenging year 2020. You can also have it as a snack, lunch and breakfast babe! This dish is so diverse and as with most of my dishes, you can swap the veges for any others in season or whatever you prefer.
You’ll notice I don’t call this a crustless quiche (as I usually do). Lest my twitter feed explode again with complaints about the blaspheming nature of the crustless quiche, I am calling this a cheesy baked eggs thingy. Who cares, it tastes great!
Here we go!
N.B. I don’t regularly post my recipes on here so if you happen to spot something you like from me on social media, just ask and I’ll try my best to get it up here for you!
- 1 medium sized Squash or pumpkin Peeled and chopped into cubes and/or sliced thinly
- 3 cups Fresh spinach Washed, drained and patted dry
- 5 medium to large Organic eggs cracked and mixed in a bowl
- 1 medium sized brown onion Chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese Grated
- Mozzarella cheese Little balls or sliced
- 1 284ml Elmlea double cream This is a plant-based cream but can be substituted with real single cream
- 1 finger sized piece fresh ginger Grated finely
- Few drops Oil For frying
- Drizzle olive oil
- Salt To taste
- Home made hot sauce To taste (optional)
- 1 sprig spring onion Optional (chopped)
- sprig Fresh thyme
- Black pepper To taste
- Place sliced squash on a tray, and sprinkle with little salt and black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Place in pre-heated oven and grill until cooked through (This should be anywhere from 20 to 35 minutes depending on the oven; a little charred is nicer). Turn over half way during cooking. When finished, set aside.
- While the squash is cooking, heat a pan with frying oil. Toss in the onions, ginger, spring onions and thyme and saute until onions are brown. Add hot sauce. Take off heat.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl, add in the cream and mix. Gradually stir in most of the cheddar cheese until mixed in thoroughly. (leave a sprinkling cheddar for later)
- Mix the grilled squash and fresh spinach leaves together.
- Oil an oven dish, and add the grilled squash and spinach mixture to the dish. Add in the onion and ginger mixture evenly to the dish.
- Pour egg and cheddar cheese mixture in the dish, evenly over the pumpkin/spinach. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar on top and add the mozzarella balls/slices on the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes
- Enjoy your baked cheesy eggs, squash thingy on its own or with a side or two. Avocado goes well with.